How to register for a Baidu account with China phone number
The Secrets of Baidu’s Chinese-Only Tool Finally Unlocked
Baidu Webmaster Tools is a portal created to help webmasters and SEOs monitor and maintain their site’s presence in Baidu’s organic search results. The platform offers a great deal of metrics you can only get from Baidu, tools to test your site’s performance, and a two-way communication channel between you and Baidu. This means that if you are doing SEO in China, Baidu Webmaster Tools is an incredibly important tool you will have to master.
However, there’s one big obstacle facing SEOs outside of China — the tool is only available in Chinese. You could in theory use Google Translate, but this can be cumbersome, inaccurate, and does not translate technical terms well. So until now, unless someone on your team reads Chinese, managing your site on GWT has been a frustrating experience.
But never fear — we’ve provided this detailed, comprehensive guide to Baidu Webmaster Tools to help non-Chinese readers understand how to navigate the platform and get the most value out of it — without having to know a single Chinese word!
Baidu Webmaster Tools Features
So what can you do on Baidu Webmaster Tools? We’ll take a look at each of these main features in detail below:
- (New) Validate HTTPS site with Baidu
- (New) Apply for brand terms protection
- Submit Content to Baidu for Indexation
- Submit broken links to Baidu
- Minimize negative SEO effects caused by site migration
- Track your site’s indexation on Baidu
- Track ranking keywords, impression and clicks in Baidu
- Track crawling errors
- Test for potential Baidu Spider crawling issue
- Track broken links and backlinks
- Track and adjust Baidu Spider’s crawling Frequency
- Create, validate or update robots.txt for Baidu
- Conduct site security test
- Avoid negative SEO effects caused by offline maintenance
- Optimize site for Baidu mobile
- Structured Data Submission in Baidu Webmaster Tools
- Access Baidu Webmaster Tools on mobile devices
Sign Up For Webmaster Tools
In order to start using Baidu Webmaster Tools, you first have to sign up for a Baidu account.
Unfortunately, even at this first step, the frustration can begin — account registration for Baidu requires a China mobile number for SMS verification. If you don’t have a China mobile number, we have a specific method How to register for a Baidu account without China phone number (see more).
If you have a local China number, then the registration process is pretty straight forward.
- Enter your China mobile number
- Create and enter your password
- Click on the button that says “获取短信验证 ” to get your SMS verification code, and input it into this field
- Read and agree to the terms of service, and click the blue register button
Step 1: Enter the mobile phone number
Don’t forget: you can use a Mainland China or overseas mobile phone number to set up the account.
Step 2: Enter the user name
Don’t forget the user name rules:
- Can’t be changed after setting
- Supports names in Chinese and English
- Up to 14 English letters or 7 Chinese characters in length
Step 3: Enter the password
Don’t forget the password rules:
- 6-14 characters in length
- Supports numbers, uppercase letters, lowercase letters, and punctuation
- Spaces are not allowed
Step 4: Get the SMS verification code. Then enter the verification code, and click Register
After you click Register, a registration success text box will be displayed.
All done! If all the steps above are implemented successfully, you can now login to Baidu Webmaster Tools and verify your site through there.